Thursday, December 12, 2013

I need some input on Daily 5 and Guided Math...

I know it is maniacal to even be thinking ahead for next year, but I tend to get this way around now.  I start reflecting as the year draws nearer to a close what I can do to make next school year run more smoothly than this one.  I am considering becoming a daily 5 classroom and doing guided math during my math time.  I am a self contained classroom, I know I can accomplish the common core math during guided math.  My concern is how I can make Daily 5 work for me and accomplish Common Core Language Arts standards.  In my mind, Daily 5 affords me a structure to meet with small groups of children and give them guided instruction at their appropriate guided reading levels.  As we all know, Common Core language arts standards are deep.  Currently, I spend about 30-45 minutes in whole group common core reading instruction, then we go to specials and then I do my own brand of literacy rotations/menu of activities.  It is during this time that I meet with small groups and we work on data driven literacy instruction.  This is where I pull out the two sisters materials from the CAFE book and use those to help me formulate small group instruction.  I would like to have feedback on how you accomplish the common core language arts instruction and make Daily 5 work in your own classrooms.  This will help me tremendously as I make instructional and organizational changes to better meet the needs of my students and to make teaching run more smoothly in my classroom.  Any thoughts you have on Guided Math are certainly welcome as well.  Thank you so much for your help!!!




Graphics by Melonheads KG fonts

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments as I grow in the blog world!!!