Monday, March 24, 2014

I love my work...


 I really, really, really love what I do!  I know that sounds sounds maniacal this time of year when testing is beating down our doors.  However, regardless of that fact, learning is still taking place in our classrooms.  
I have been beating myself up for the last few weeks because the more I have been pushing my kids, the harder they were pushing back.  So, I decided to get my big girl pants on and take a look within.  Sometimes, the problem is us...In this case, I was about 75% of the problem.  I don't know about you, but I think it takes a HUGE person to admit they are a large part of the problem...AND, I have become pretty large since having my three kids....I digress...I decided to step back and assess the situation in my classroom.  
1.  I was not planning well
2.  I was not sticking to our routines as well as I was before Christmas
3.  I was trying to do small groups ALL MORNING...Kids were in their Daily 5 for what seemed like to could really be the daily 15.  They were totally getting into trouble because they had simply either run out of things to do with literacy or were totally bored.  
4.  I was not giving in to look at the beast I was feeling like inside.  

So, I said "God, what am I supposed to do now...I have been at this 14 years and this is late in the second half of the school year...I should have them right where I want them."  He of course, answers in his own way and his own time...Which came to me yesterday as I was planning...
I came across some notes I had made before a PD I presented last year...It was my guided reading schedule from last year.  Last year, I was giving kids a daily diet of common co.re instruction and scaffolding in small groups extra support for that and the kids other literacy needs.  I do not know why I do this to myself, but it seems to be a trend with me...Just when I get the machine working smoothly, I throw the wrench back in and mess things up.  
I planned the rest of my week, and it was the best I have planned it a while.  Here is a screen shot of today's literacy block.  I don't put my targets in my plans because they are in a notebook and deconstructed by standard...I am not reinventing the wheel each time I write lesson plans...

So I did not meet with all groups today.  I just met with the three most in need of scaffolding today AND I did whole group for the first time since before Christmas break.  It was so good to make sure they were all getting the same whole group lesson.  I am meeting all my tier 1 status and and the small groups are meeting their tier 2 status and the tier 3's are getting pulled out.  I was really proud to have met my kids where they are in learning today.  The morning was much more smooth and operated like a teacher of 14 years was in there today...I felt like the teacher I know I am and should be all the time.  
I had a parent send me a text message last night and told me that I was a wonderful teacher and that she could tell my focus was on student learning.  Her son came to me Friday before our science quiz and told me he had not studied the right material the night before and would certainly fail the test.  I am a sucker for puppy dog eyes, but I am a bigger sucker for kids who try and come to me with full trust and tell me when things are not going well.  I told him not to worry about this test, I could not do that to him.  I told him to come back on Monday to take the quiz and things would be fine.  He told his mom about this and she sent me that text message.  I just cried.  My students are like 23 of my own children for 175 days.  I treat them like I do my own three kids and I try to be the teacher for them that I want for my Riley, Abby and Hunter.  That is why I love my work...because someone is always paying attention to what you do and just once in a while, you will be appreciated for the work you do with their child.  The impact will be huge because it doesn't come often, but it seems that it always comes at a time when you need it to the most.  
So, in a nutshell, it was an epiphany of a weekend and a Monday.  Sorry to ramble, I just had to get these thoughts out into the world!!  Have a super week gang!!!


2 comments:

Thanks for your comments as I grow in the blog world!!!