Friday, September 27, 2013

Five For Friday

 
 
 
TGIFFF...Thank Goodness is FIVE FOR FRIDAY!!!!!!
I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching this week.  Its been a busy one

 
I hooked up with Jameson @ Lesson With Coffee for her October SLANT box.  I am so excited about this.  I love getting mail and I love shopping for other people too.  If you have time, go over there and sign up!  It's going to be a great time!
 
 
 
So this week I CRACKED DOWN on the talking and off task behavior.  My principal and I talked the other day and we came to the conclusion that us fourth grade teachers are just too energetic for this group of kids.  Evidently their third grade teachers must have practiced great restraint when teaching, never cracked a smile, a joke or allowed them much independence.  We are just too much for them I guess so they stayed amped up all the time.  So now I am practicing more restraint than I EVER HAVE!!!!! 
I have been NO NONSENSE all week.  I use a cool chevron behavior clip chart that I got over at A Cupcake for the Teacher.  I have been moving clips down left and right.  My class just talks so much.  I had to ask them what I was doing wrong.  They told me I was giving too many warnings.  I like to keep things very real in my class, which is why I asked their opinions on the situation.  I think that was one of the most important thing I could have done.  I made them part of the solution.  I have sailed through this week and it has been great!  I feel more like a grown up teacher, that part I don't care much for, but I am getting used to it. 
 
I discovered a WONDERFUL online planning tool that will carry over year to year.  www.planbook.com
I love this tool.  It costs $12 a year, but is totally worth it  I have been able to share my plans with my students and once when I was absent, I texted the link with my username and password to my principal, she was able to pull my plans and my class ran seamlessly without me there...  I have to rework my schedule next week due to a change in our lunch schedule.  With this tool, I can go into the class and just click to change the time.  planbook.com will literally reconfigure the schedule and BA-BAM!!!  I am back in business and no throwing out blank plan pages because my brain can't deal with a messy plan page. 

 
We had a lockdown drill today and my class was so well hidden, that when I left my lights on and door unlocked (inadvertently) I heard  our "intruder" (our custodian) say "Mrs. Sadler's class is not even in here!"   Ha Ha!!!  My room configuration worked so well in the drill at least!  My students safety is my top daily priority.  I won't risk anything when it comes to it. 

 
I love melonheadz and if  you don't know what a melonheadz is, I want you to click this link.  If you know what they are but you are not following Nikki's blog, then you should click the link as well.  Her work is IMPECCABLE!  She also has this cutest little freebie for fall on her blog right now, all you have to do is right click and save.  I have a hard time holding back when it comes to buy graphics or buy TPT or TN products which have Melonheadz in them.  I love Nikki's work so much, I am having a personalized melonheadz made for me, my bestie and my principal.  (SHHHH, that parts a secret!!!)
 
So that's my random five...I love this linky!!!!
 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing!!! I love Melonheadz too!! Her clipart is amazing.

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of Melonheadz before so definitely needed to check her out, thank you for the link to her brillaint work!

    Such a cute Five for Friday read!

    Best wishes,
    Becky
    http://educatingprimary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love planbook!! I'll never go back to handwriting plans again. I have a rather talkative bunch this year and tried the Whole Brain Teaching Scoreboard. It was a definite winner and has helped us find a balance between working and joking/enjoying each other! I posted about it last Saturday if you want to read more about it.
    Courtney
    Polka Dot Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments as I grow in the blog world!!!